Holistic Sports Nutrition
Whether your sport requires endurance, high intensity bursts, sustained power, or any combination of thereof, each meal is custom-tailored based on your sport and daily exercise regimen. Each meal is created to have proper macro (carbs, protein, fat) and micronutrient ratios for optimal performance. Often, meals prepared by chefs and other professionals do not take into consideration exercise induced stress. Holistic Performance prepares all meals to ensure maximal nutrient retention and prevent the formation of Advanced Glycated End products by using proper cooking temperatures and oils. Ingredients are organic, of highest quality, and are carefully selected to create customized meals that are delicious and loaded with anti-inflammatory compounds and antioxidants. The way you perform as an athlete begins with how you fuel your body. Holistic Performance works closely with you in-person (within Portland) or via online video chatting, to help you reach competitive goals. We will begin with a 15-minute phone consultation.
Initial Appointment: 75 minutes
- Complete a comprehensive intake form to gain knowledge of medical and nutritional history.
- Comprehensive analysis of current eating habits, daily exercise and “gameday” routines to determine proper macro and micronutrient content for optimal performance, recovery, strength and agility.
- Basal Metabolic Rate, and Total Energy Expenditure are calculated based on training intensity to create foundation for daily caloric intake.
- Determine short and long-term goals of the athlete and strategize a plan to reach these goals.
- Assess use of medications, sports supplements, and lifestyle habits that may be negatively impacting the athlete.
- Review all blood lab work to address any concerns.
- Design a two-week meal plan that is tailored to the athlete’s exercise regimen, sport, eating routines and preferences (Gluten Free, Vegan, Paleo, Vegetarian, Mediterranian, etc.).
- Discuss foods rich in Flavonoids and Quercetin to support VO2 max pathways to increase endurance.
- Incorporate proteins that are richer in Branched-Chain Amino Acids to activate mTOR pathway for optimal recovery and protein synthesis.
- Optional 4 -6-week elimination program to determine food sensitives.
- Work closely with each athlete to take into consideration personal beliefs when working with all diet types
- Incorporate strategies for optimal hydration.
- Establish a diet journal to identify how eating habits are affecting performance.
- Optional genetic testing available to determine food sensitivities.
EAT LIKE A NUTRITIONIST, PERFORM LIKE A CHAMPION.
Follow-Up Appointments: 45 minutes
Comprehensive follow-up appoints are encouraged to determine if the dietary modifications have impacted the athlete. Follow-up frequency determined based on necessity and services requested.
- Review diet journals to assess recommended modifications and follow-through.
- Assess how new dietary modifications have impacted the athlete’s performance and overall wellbeing and incorporate changes if necessary.
- Determine if hydration strategies have improved, based on urine test.
- Provide two weeks’ worth of meal plans with sample recipes.
*Holistic Performance understands that being an athlete is very time consuming and offers in-home personal chef services as well as meal delivery services. See our Personal Chef Services
- Modify current carb, protein and fat ratios in meals to reflect upcoming training and/or event.
- Educate the athlete on the necessity of mindful eating and how it impacts our health.
- If necessary, incorporate healthy weight loss and weight-gain strategies for whatever the sport needs…(i.e., cutting weight, gaining weight)
Injuries and Supplementation
Athletes endure many types of injuries, such as sprains and torn ligaments, broken bones, and head trauma and are prescribed pain medications that alter their nutritional status, without modifying their eating habits. Not only do injuries require greater nutritional support, medications may also contribute to malabsorption of nutrients. During the offseason, athletes’ eating habits put them at a disadvantage for the season. Often, athletes consume supplements that are less bioavailable depending on the form consumed.
- Use of supplementation as appropriate for soft-tissue damage, improved recovery, cardiovascular support, brain and immune health, as well as healthy endocrine function. (In-compliance with Drug Free Sport and US and World Anti-Doping Agencies)
- Review of current vitamins and supplements to determine efficacy and quality, as well as to incorporate other supplements needed such as Vitamin D.
- Possibility of collaboration with the athlete’s physician, athletic trainer, and coaches to address additional concerns.
Holistic Performance works with all types of athletes, including:
Cycling, Marathons, Triathlons, Ultramarathons, Rock-climbing, Bodybuilding, Swimming, Mixed Martial Arts, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Basketball, Soccer, Football, Softball, Track and Field, Tennis and Hockey.